Thursday, June 30, 2011

Reassurance

Following my meltdown as a result of the negative behavior Eli began exhibiting, I was provided with information which really helped ease my mind.
I like one point: "There is no such thing as the 'MAGIC' dog. You have to train the dog."
Another piece of reassurance I received from the trainer, Lisa, at My Dog Training Center, is that no one should be reaching for a service dog. Eli has a job to do and for him to do his job he needs to acknowledge that there will be people around me, but he needs to expect that others will not be grabbing at him. She emphasized what I stated previously: If I give him the okay to welcome a friendly stranger, Eli should recognize that I am telling him something I want him to do. Also, Eli does pick up on my body's cues and will react accordingly. If I have stress due to a symptom or situation, Eli is doing his job by protecting me.
Eli is three-quarters Chihuahua. Chihuahuas have a natural tendency to bond to one person and be protective of that person. Therefore, Eli is the perfect little guy to do the job I need him to do.
He is my 4-pound, 15-ounce wonder and I refuse to give up on him. I do have concerns about the aggression when he receives his "jackpot" Dream Bone treat. I feel, though, that it's not so much Eli who needs correction, but Mei-li, our Lhasa Apso. She steals Eli's treats from him. Additionally, I am able to pet him while he is enjoying his treat UNTIL Mei-li gets too close. At that point, Eli becomes nervous and guarded.
The next step for Eli and me is the Canine Good Citizen course, beginning July 22nd at My Dog Training Center. Lisa will be able to observe Eli's behavior and will be able to coach us through any issues. I am really looking forward to it! 8)
No more vaccinations for Eli for a while, but he is scheduled for surgery on August 2nd to be neutered. (((Sorry, little buddy. ♥)))

No comments:

Post a Comment