Sunday, May 8, 2011

Eli's First Week of May

What an amazing week!
Eli and I did a lot of work together and he is really doing a wonderful job. I am so proud of him!
"Down" caught on quickly. So now, Eli will "sit", lay "down", and even listens to "stay" pretty well. He's doing much better on leash and obeys the "walk" command. Off leash, he does not go too far away from me and when I tell him to "come", he's right there.
I am so excited that Eli has even learned to "focus" on me. We certainly have to strengthen his "focus", but he is looking me right in the eyes and holding it for a few seconds. It probably doesn't seem like a big deal. Remember, though, that he is a 12-week-old puppy with lots of energy. I think it's incredible that I am able to get him to hold a gaze.
We had a party over the weekend, too. My husband and I renewed our wedding vows in honor of our 10th anniversary. I probably let Eli get passed around more than I should have, I'm embarrassed to write. However, I was given report that he whimpered and looked for me. That is a very positive thing! He certainly got a great deal of socialization and behaved wonderfully.
Eli has a weird quirk when my mom comes near me. I will have to bring this to the attention of the trainer when we get one. It seems Eli has something against my mom, especially when she touches me. I may have to try not holding him, but making him sit on leash next to me to see if it helps.
This week, I am looking forward to strengthening his obedience to the commands we have been using. Eli has his second vet appointment on Thursday afternoon. People are telling me he looks like he is getting bigger, so we'll see how much he weighs Thursday. And yes, I have to really work on housebreaking Eli. My mobility issues do make it hard. I am sure he'll catch on in no time. I have been sure to tell him "good boy, potty" when he uses his puppy pad. I'm hoping he'll recognize the word "potty" for going outside. There's no doubt that Eli tells me when he has to go. It's just up to me to force myself to get outside with him.
Much to keep working on! All in all, though, things are progressing brilliantly.
(_.~¤*•CrystalLynn•*¤~._)
http://notjustatinydog.blogspot.com
http://suaemoc.blogspot.com
•¤•¤•¤•¤•¤•¤•¤•¤•¤•¤•
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment